Every job needs a 'number' (which can contain letters, spaces and punctuation
marks). If you already have job numbers, they'll work in the Tracker. If you're interested in integrating Tracker data with your
accounting system, now or in the future, use the numbers in that system. But if you're creating new numbers ...
- Keep them short. You'll be typing them often. Fewer characters = fewer typos.
- While you can give a job and an employee, item, storage site or vendor the same number, we suggest avoiding duplicates,
which can confuse users. You can't give 2 items the same number.
- Avoid punctuation marks (which slow most typists down) and repeated spaces (it can be hard to see the difference between 1 and 2 spaces).
- 'Numbers' are sorted alphabetically, which can be confusing if they really are numbers (11 is before 2 when sorted alphabetically, just like AA is
before B). If you want to use numeric 'numbers' and have them sort numerically, use leading zeros to make each number the same length (002 is before 011
when sorted alphabetically).
The Jobs table contains a large number of user-definable fields. All fields, whether user-definable or not, can be given custom names. So
you may see a field in your Jobs screen that's not in this list:
- (Jobs grid) JOB NUMBER.
- (Jobs grid) JOB NAME.
- (Jobs grid) BILLCODE. A code used by some accounting systems.
- (Jobs grid) COMMENCE. The job's start date.
- (Jobs grid) CUSTOMER. The job's owner.
- (Jobs grid) DEFAULT CODE. Pre-set (or default) codes can be set up in jobs or rate types. The code entered here will automatically be recorded when items
are assigned to this job. If there's a conflict and Job default code takes precedence over rate type code is checked in
billing preferences, the job code is used.
- (Jobs grid) IDLE. Only active jobs appear in job lists.
- (Jobs grid) MAX RENT. A rental maximum is the rental cap for an item on one assignment, expressed as a percentage of that item's cost. Max rent can be set
in jobs or rate types. If both are blank, the global default in billing preferences is used. If there's a conflict between
the job and rate type max rent and Job default max rent takes precedence over rate type max rent is checked in
billing preferences, the job max rent is used.
- (Jobs grid) NOTES. From a practical perspective, unlimited in length.
- (Jobs grid) RATE SCHEDULE. A rate schedule is a list of rate types (see rates). If you leave this field blank and have
a default rate schedule in billing preferences, the default will be used. If you want to charge this job different rates,
create another rate schedule and enter it here.
- (Jobs grid) Address info.
- (Jobs grid) DEFAULT SITE and TAX LOCATION aren't used. We plan to add functionality to them in the future.